- marty_elkins@bwdsb.on.ca - Edmodo - Office365

What students should be working on ongoing at home:

Monday 22 June 2015

A Response

We received an absolutely wonderful letter from Steve Earle. The man to whom we wrote to after he helped a woman off a plane after a crash in Halifax. His words are worth reading.



Grade 6/7 Class
Beavercrest School
Markdale, Ontario



May 5, 2015


Dear the Grade 6/7 class

My apologies for having taken so long to respond to your letters.  I have been quite busy with my work and a busy family with after school activities etc. as I’m sure you can understand.  I also wanted to make sure that I had the opportunity to put as much thought into my response as you obviously put into your letters, and I wanted to answer all of your questions – of which there are quite a few.

I really do feel honored that you each think that my small action that night was heroic, but I really do believe that it was not.  I was capable, and Ruth wasn’t, so I believe that I had an obligation to do whatever it was that I was able to do.  Many of you stated that you think that the world needs more people like me, but I believe that MOST people are like me – including you!  I just happened to be the man who switched seats with Ruth and was close enough to see that she needed help.  I like to think that if I was not on that plane, but my wife or children were, that there would be people willing to help them if they needed it.

There are people around the world, every minute of the day that are doing much more profound, dangerous and selfless acts for other people than what I did.  It’s unfortunate that the news and media often overlook these acts in favor of reporting more on the “bad” things that are happening, or people are doing.  You might have to look a little harder to find these “good” stories – but they are there.



To answer your questions;

1)      The most popular question of all:  What was I thinking while the plane was crashing?

There are many, many things going through your mind very quickly in a time of crisis like this, but I can tell you that (surprisingly) I did not feel afraid.  Beyond the shock of it registering in my mind that it was actually happening, I was more sad and disappointed at what I thought my family might have to go through if I did not survive.  My heart hurt for them profoundly.


2)      Would I do the same thing again?

Absolutely, and I hope that there would be someone willing to help me if I needed it.

3)      Why do I prefer “Human” to “Hero”?

It’s difficult situations like this that I believe our “human” obligation to each other is at it’s highest.


4)      How did I feel as I carried Ruth?

I was wondering to myself if we would make it away quick enough and if I had the strength.  I was also hoping that my carrying her over my shoulder in that way and running would not hurt her.


5)      Did I have any second thoughts when I saw that Ruth needed help?

None


6)      If I could change anything that happened – would I?

Not now.  Other than wishing that the accident never happened at all, I believe we were all very lucky that the outcome was not worse.  It was very difficult for me mentally for a while afterwards, but the huge amount of positivity that everyone (including you!!) surrounded me with because of that little thing I did really helped me overcome a tough time – THANK YOU for contributing to that.


7)      After the “fame” what do people think of me?

That’s difficult to answer – but I don’t think that they think any differently of me, at least I hope not – because they shouldn’t.


8)      Why did it take so long for me to come forward when I heard that Ruth was looking for me?

I really wasn’t sure that I wanted the attention – specially at the time, but my friends and family convinced me to do it because it would mean a great deal to Ruth.



I really want all of you to know that what happened to that plane is NOT something that happens all the time.  It’s a complete anomaly.  Most pilots who fly hundreds of times a year for their 30+ year careers never encounter anything like what occurred.
There will be things that happen in your life that might scare you, or make you worry.  Be smart – and be safe with your decisions as best your can, but try not to let fear take away from your ability to live your life with enjoyment. 

I got back on an airplane again 3 days after the accident with my family because it was important for me to do for myself, and to show my kids they need not be afraid – and neither should you.

I am extremely flattered that you apparently all think so much of me and what I did, but it really was just “human” – at least to me.  I’m just a regular guy, father, husband.  I have made decisions and done things in my life that I am proud of, and not so proud of.  That’s human.

Thank you all for taking the time and for such kind thoughts, and thank you Mr. Elkins for being the kind of teacher that shows your kids that all the news is not necessarily bad news or sensational junk out of Hollywood.

I do have one request of the Grade 6/7 Beavercrest class however!!  It’s an assignment;

If Mr. Elkins agrees, I would like each of you to research and find 2 or 3 wonderful, selfless acts that people around the world have done for each other and share them with each other, and your school.

Thank you!!

I wish each of you all the best in all your endeavors - wherever that might take you.

Sincerely,

Steve Earle